Thursday, February 6, 2014

DIY- Fake Headboard

Happy Thursday! It's been a VERY productive week for my business, continuing the great start to 2014!
I did a staging consultation on Saturday and I'm excited to be staging the home in a few weeks when the homeowner is finished with their projects.  I'll of course, share the before and after shots.
The homeowner was able to purchase a new home without selling the existing one and they'll be taking most of the furnishings with them, so I'll be staging a fairly vacant home.  I'm very excited to show you how I'll be staging this home using only my inventory and some pieces that will be left in the home for me to use.  I LOVE the challenge!
 One of the bedrooms is currently being used as an office and will need to be turned back into a bedroom.  I will be "faking" a bed by dressing a twin sized Aerobed in this room and needed something to give the illusion of a headboard so that it truly looks like a regular bed.  I grabbed a few items that I had around the house and DIY'd this twin "headboard" in about 30 minutes. It is super light weight and easy to transport for staging.

The supplies:
  • One piece of foam board
  • One piece of foam sheet
  • Fabric
  • Glue gun or spray glue
  • Roll of nailhead trim
The Process:
  • Use a piece of foam board that works for your bed size.  For a Twin, use a piece around 39 in. wide, Full- 54in., Queen- 60 in.  The piece I used is only 30 in. wide because that is what I had lying around and I am only creating the illusion of a headboard for staging, not concerned about a perfect fit.
  • Cut a piece of foam to fit the board.  I left a one inch gap on each side to add nailhead trim.
  • Use spray glue to attach foam to the board

  • Layout your fabric with the design side down (again choose fabric yardage according to bed/foam board size), position your board on top, wrap fabric around and use spray glue or hot glue to attach it to the board.  I saw another tutorial recently that used making tape to hold the fabric on so that they could easily change the fabric to stage different rooms.


  •  Be sure to check that the fabric is pulled tight and lays flat from the front as you are wrapping and attaching it to the board. Glue all four sides to the board leaving the corners for last.
  • I failed to take a picture of how I finished the corners, but I used the tutorial that Jenny from the blog Little Green Notebook wrote for her upholstered bench corners.  http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-upholster-bench-corners.html?m=1
  • You can leave the headboard as is or add nailhead trim.  I had some trim left over from the roll I purchased to make a headboard for my guest bedroom, so I used it here. If you've never used nailhead trim before, it comes in a roll where you only need to nail in every fifth nail and gives you a nice, straight line.  So much easier than nailing in each individual nailhead.

The finished headboard ready to hang




I'll show you how it looks with the bed when the staging is complete, but hope this helps give you an idea of how easy it is to DIY an upholstered headboard.  Come back tomorrow to see the DIY upholstered Queen headboard I made for my guest room. 

Xo,
Jeanne


No comments:

Post a Comment