Thursday, February 27, 2014

Spring Curb Appeal

Hi folks!

Whew...it's been a little bit since I've had the chance to post here, but I'm happy to report that I have been very busy restyling homes!

I thought I'd jump back in by sharing one of my staging techniques that has worked really well, left my clients happy and made for great listing photos- using color to enhance curb appeal.  Here are my top 5 ways to add color and enhance your curb appeal.  You can do this whether you are restyling to sell or restyling to enjoy your current home.

1.  Paint the front door!
Now, I know if you live in a HOA restricted area like me, you can't get too creative with your door color, but for those who can- look at the some of these great examples.
I recently met another local Stager/Redesigner and in checking out her blog, became envious of her GREAT asparagus green door color!

 
 
 
I've also seen a trend using gorgeous shades of blue/turquoise on front doors lately like this one.  I would absolutely choose this color for my own home if I could.
 
 
 
 
2.  Place a beautiful pot (or a few) of flowers on the front porch
 The photos above show great examples of this.  A few white pots with yellow flowers make a big impact with that turquoise front door, but even if the door were simply white, brown or black, the flowers give the front of the home that added fun pop of color. Use colorful pots for your flowers too! Because I can't have that turquoise door, I use a nice turquoise planter on my front porch, It's a great way to draw the attention of potential buyers or to just add some color for Spring.
 
If you don't have space for potted flowers on the front porch, consider adding flower boxes.  This is a great DIY version from one of my favorite blogs Young House Love
 
 
 
3.  Paint your exterior light fixtures.
When was the last time you took a look at your exterior light fixtures?  As long as they are working, we are usually happy, right?   But....what about trying to spruce them up with a new color?  As I mentioned, with the restrictions in my 'hood. I can't do much, but the formerly terracotta colored fixtures turned an awful shade of pink in the Texas sun, so I cleaned the glass and gave them a fresh coat of copper paint and they look so much nicer!  I forgot to take a before photo of the pink, so....SHHHHHH.....don't tell my neighbor that I took a photo of hers since they turned the same pink shade.  Here's the neighbor's before and my after.
 
BEFORE


 


AFTER Painting 



  
 4. Add a bench/chairs and colorful pillows
For those of you that have space, adding seating and colorful pillows will make you or your potential buyer want to sit and stay a while.  I try to bring one of the most predominant colors in the home out to the front porch/yard so that there is a nice flow from the front to the interior of the home once you enter. Here are some great examples.
 
source:  Home Depot
 
 
source:  The Idea Room
 
 
 
 
 
5.  Add Something Unique
 Show your personality!  Maybe you've found a great colorful garden stool that would make a great accent to your front porch.  Add a colorful doormat or outdoor rug to your seating area to a great conversation spot or give a quick coat of spray paint to a metal wall hanging and hang in in the entry. 
 

 
 
 

 
I know we're all ready to ditch this cold weather (yes, it's even cold again in TX this week),  so I hope these tips will help inspire you to start planning for some beautiful Spring weather and enjoying your outdoor spaces again! 
 
Xo,
Jeanne
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Great tips Jeanne, and especially important coming up on spring! After this miserable winter we are all craving color and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Luci! I cannot wait to get rid of my plants that didn't survive the winter and add some fresh color!

    ReplyDelete